Breast pumps are the device that helps in pumping out milk from lactating mothers. It is among the innovative healthcare devices, which are widely available across the globe. These latest advancements in healthcare technology are helping lactating mothers to look after their kinds while working.
These pumps are boon for women who want to balance their work routine while upbringing their child. So, working mothers widely use breast pumps to store their breast milk for the future, when they are not around their babies.
Here, in this article, we will write about the types of breast pump available in the market. Some of the tips that you should know before buying a breast pump. Along with that, this article will carry information about how to use these breast pumps.
Types of Breast pumps
There are various types of breast pumps available in the market depending on the sizes and models. Breast pumps help working women to focus on their work along with taking care of their babies. It is important to feed a new-born baby with mother’s milk, which is the most nutritious food for them.
So, we are mentioning 3 types of breast pumps that can be found around the world:
1. Electric breast pumps
These electric pumps use rechargeable batteries or electricity to do suction parts to collect breast milk. It is among the most portable, efficient, and easy-to-use breast pump. The electric breast pumps are further divided into single electric and double electric breast pumps. It generally comes with a carrying case and cooler for milk transport.
2. Manual breast pumps
Manual breast pumps are the ones that need your hand to pump out milk. They do not have any motors or batteries for doing the suction things. However, it is a good choice for women who use breast pumps occasionally. A manual breast pump is small & quiet and requires hands to pump out milk from lactating mothers.
3. Hospital grade breast pumps
The hospital-grade breast pumps are heavy & bulky pumps that have heavy-duty motors. It offers a greater volume of suction per minute. They are comparatively faster than other pumps due to heavy-duty motor that also makes them heavy to carry. These pumps are generally rented and cost more.
Tips before buying a breast pump
There are a few things that need to keep in mind before buying a breast pump. However, the below-mentioned tips are subjective but you can consider them before purchasing any kind of breast pump.
- It is very important to look into the comfort level offered by a breast pump. A pump should be comfortable so that you can carry and use it conveniently.
- Before buying a breast pump, you should know the frequency of using the breast pump. If you want to use breast pumps occasionally, then you can opt manual breast pump. However, if you will use a pump more frequently then, you should go for electric pumps.
- Know about your schedule, a perfect breast pump should fit your schedule time and travel mode. There are many women who use breast pumps while traveling as they don’t have much time. So, the more portable and compact pump you will use, the more comfortable it will be.
Components of Breast Pumps
The structure of a breast pump consists of three parts, which are as follows:
- Pump: It helps in creating suction for extracting milk from mothers. This pump is connected to the breast-shield or has plastic tubing to link the pump with the breast-shield.
- Breast Shield: This breast shield is a cone-shaped cup, which covers the nipple and is circular in shape to cover the area around the nipple.
- Container: The container is attached to the breast shield. It is a detachable container in which milk is collected through suction. It is a reusable bottle or sometimes bags.
How to use breast pumps
Read the following instruction to use breast pumps, however, different breast pumps can be operated differently. We are writing down the steps to use an electric pump:
- It is of utmost importance to firstly clean and sterilizes a pump before its usage.
- Sit in a comfortable position and fix the breast shield around the nipple.
- Set the speed of suction at your comfortable number.
- Wait for the collection of milk in the bottle or bag.
- It is important to take rest in between the suction process and massage the breast area.
- After the suction is complete, detach the bottle and store it in your home.
Breast pumps are the gadgets that helps in pumping out from lactating mothers, in order to store it for further use. It helps the working women to feed their babies when they are not around.
The increasing number of working women population, an inadequate period of maternity leave, and an increasing number of government initiatives across the world are contributing to the increasing demand for breast pumps in the market. However, the risk of contamination of milk is one of the factors that restrict the growth of the market.